There are millions of diets to lose weight. Some are more extreme, and others more balanced. But all of them agree to consider some foods beneficial and others harmful. Of course, the traffic light diet also meets this premise. But what exactly is this type of regime? Here, we tell you all the details about this traffic light diet for weight loss.
What Is The Traffic Light Diet?
The traffic light diet is a kind of regimen that groups foods as appropriate or not included in a diet to lose weight. In this way, food enters into one of these three groups corresponding to the colors of the traffic light:
Stop! Within this group, all those foods that you should not consume if what you are looking to lose a few extra pounds. It includes:
- All fried foods.
- Cereals with a lot of sugar.
- Dairy products: Milk, yogurt (except if skimmed), cheeses, and cream.
- Meat: pork, lard, bacon, lamb, duck, goose, hamburger.
- Pastry: Sweets, pastries, chocolate.
- Alcoholic drinks and sugary sodas.
- Salted and smoked.
- Sauces: Mayonnaise, Bechamel sauce, Aioli.
Caution! Within this group, those foods that you can consume but always in moderation. They are the ones that we indicate in the following list:
- Fruits: Banana and avocado.
- Cereals: Bread, pasta, rice, flour.
- Nuts: Hazelnuts, almonds, dates, pistachios.
- Legumes: beans, chickpeas, lentils.
- Dairy: Skim milk and yogurt, fresh cheese.
- Vegetable oils.
- Eggs: You can consume them only two or three times a week, preferably in tortillas, scrambled, or passed through water. Never fried!
- Meats: Ham, beef, rabbit, cow, lamb.
- Potatoes: Cooked or roasted.
These foods are 100% recommended for any balanced diet. They are healthy and also help you lose weight faster and more effectively. Take note:
- All vegetables: Chard, spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, eggplant, squash, zucchini, artichoke, tomato, cucumber, pepper, beet, asparagus, carrot, turnip, leek, peas, beans, celery, endive, radish, beet, cassava, escarole.
- Fruits: Pineapple, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, apple, pear, peach, cherries, grapefruit, tangerine, orange, melon, watermelon, nectarine, pomegranate, grapes, apricot, plum, kiwi.
- Natural water and sugar-free infusions.
- Aromatic spices: Vinaigrette, pepper, cayenne, curry.
- Chicken or turkey meat without skin.
Recommendations For Traffic Light Diet
As you can see, the traffic light diet proposes a healthy and balanced diet. Also, it is a simple diet to follow and remember since it is only necessary to have a little memory to associate certain foods with the color of the traffic light that corresponds to them. If you accompany the diet of the recommendations that we indicate below, you will be able to reach your ideal weight before you know it. It will be a success!
- It is advised to make a minimum of five meals a day.
- Drink approximately two liters of water daily.
- It is recommended to practice some aerobic exercise for at least one hour a day, three times a week.
- It is advisable that you healthily cook food. That is, it is always preferable that you make it grilled, steamed, or baked (with little oil and without fats) to make it fried, battered or breaded. In this way, they provide many more calories, and in the long term, they end up harming health. Also, you should do without sauces, stir-fry, butter, and vegetable fats.
This diet, being a balanced diet, does not have a specific duration. Extending it over time will not cause damage to health. On the contrary, it is incredibly beneficial for the body.
More than a diet, it is a lifestyle. This plan will help you learn to eat, feel good about yourself, and modify certain harmful eating habits. You will start betting on those quality foods with high nutritional content and a lower amount of calories.