You heard right — this circuit cooks, and you’ll have the skinny to prove it. We dared top Hollywood trainer Jeanette Jenkins to design a routine that would fry your ass and firm you fast. Result: You’ll melt about 500 calories doing her mix of multipart toners and kick-butt cardio.
We know, because we put it to the test. Jenkins, who trains A-listers like Kelly Rowland, Pink, and Alicia Keys, led a group of FITNESS readers equipped with heart rate monitors through a session to clock their calorie burn. “This workout gets results because it challenges you at every level,” Jenkins says. “Each set maxes out your muscles, while the intervals keep your metabolism stoked on high.” Check out her fierce physique as she demos the moves, then get cracking!
Have a set of five- to eight-pound dumbbells handy and do the circuit three times through — four if you’ve got the stamina. Rock this workout three to four days a week for a flab-to-fab transformation this month.
Double Snap Kick
Targets abs, butt, hips, and thighs
- Stand with feet staggered, right foot forward, hands in fists near chin.
- Bend left knee, bringing heel toward butt as you turn hips to left so that left hip is stacked above right. Leaning your torso back slightly to counterbalance, kick out with left leg, straightening knee with toes pointed.
- Without lowering leg, bend left knee again (bringing heel toward butt) and do another snap kick, attempting to kick slightly higher than the first kick.
- Touch floor briefly with left foot and repeat.
- Do 10 to 15 double kicks. Switch sides and repeat.
Knee to Nose
Targets shoulders, chest, back, abs, butt, hips, and legs
- Begin on floor in a full plank position, shoulders over wrists.
- Lower head between shoulders as you bring left knee toward nose.
- Extend left leg behind you and return to plank. Do 10 reps, alternating sides.
- Return to plank, then lift left leg behind you and right arm forward. Hold for 1 count, then lower. Switch sides; repeat. Do 10 reps, alternating sides.
- MAKE IT EASIER: Do fewer reps or bring knee in only as far as chest.
- Start on floor in a full plank position and quickly alternate bringing one knee toward chest at a time. Do 30 reps per side.
Triceps Star Plank
Targets shoulders, chest, triceps, abs, hips, and outer thighs
- Begin on floor in a full plank position, shoulders over wrists, then lower chest toward floor, keeping elbows close to sides. Push up to start.
- From there, rotate entire body to right as you move into a side plank. Keeping weight on palm of left hand, lift right arm toward ceiling and balance on side of left foot, stacking hips and lifting right leg to about hip height.
- Hold for 1 count, then lower leg and arm as you rotate back to start. Repeat on opposite side. Do 10 reps, alternating sides.
- MAKE IT EASIER: Do the push-up on knees; keep bottom knee on floor during side plank.
Reverse Lunge with Punch and Front Kick
Targets shoulders, biceps, triceps, abs, butt, and legs
- Holding a dumbbell in each hand, stand with feet hip-width apart, arms by sides.
- Lunge back with left leg, bending right knee 90 degrees as you lower left knee toward floor. At the same time, bend elbows to bring dumbbells up to chest level, then extend arms forward to shoulder height in a slow jab motion. (Keep head, shoulders, and torso above hips.)
- Stand up, kicking left leg forward to hip height, toes pointed, as you lower arms to sides. Do 15 to 25 reps; switch sides and repeat.
- MAKE IT EASIER: Rather than kicking leg forward, bring knee up to hip height.
- Run in place as fast as you can, really pumping arms, for 30 to 60 seconds.
Targets shoulders, triceps, abs, butt, thighs, and calves
- Stand with feet a little wider than shoulder-width apart, toes pointed out, holding a single dumbbell with both hands, arms extended overhead. Lift heels, rising up onto balls of feet.
- Keeping heels lifted throughout, bend knees 90 degrees (keep knees aligned over toes) as you bend elbows 90 degrees to lower weight behind head.
- Hold here for 1 count, then stand up and extend arms to start and repeat. Do 15 to 25 reps.
- MAKE IT EASIER: Keep heels on floor.
Back Row with Tap
Targets shoulders, back, abs, butt, hips, hamstrings, and quads
- Holding a dumbbell in each hand, stand with feet together, arms in front of thighs, palms facing down. Squat down, keeping body weight over heels, and lean forward slightly, extending arms forward diagonally toward floor.
- Keeping left knee bent, tap right foot directly behind you as you lift elbows out to sides to bring dumbbells by shoulders, palms down.
- Return to start and repeat by tapping left foot behind you. Do 15 to 25 reps, alternating legs.
Burpees and Jumping Jacks
- Do 15 burpees (squat down, placing hands on floor, and jump both legs behind you into a full plank; jump feet forward between hands, then quickly jump up into a squat). Finish with 25 jumping jacks.
V-Sit Kick Combo
Targets shoulders, back, core, hips, butt, and thighs
- Sit on floor with legs extended, palms at sides under shoulders with fingers forward. Lift hips off floor, forming a straight line from shoulders to heels.
- Kick left leg straight up; lower leg to start. Switch legs and repeat. Do 12 reps, alternating sides.
- Return to seated position, then lift legs 45 degrees off floor as you lift arms out to sides. Hold for 30 seconds.
- MAKE IT EASIER: Instead of doing a kick, bring bent knee up during the reverse plank; do the V-up with bent knees.
Arabesque to Balancing Stick
Targets shoulders, arms, abs, butt, and legs
- Stand with feet hip-width apart, arms at sides.
- Lift right leg behind you as you reach right arm out to side and left arm overhead. Lean torso forward slightly and pulse right leg up and down a few inches, squeezing glutes. Do 25 reps.
- Continuing to stand on left leg, slowly lean further forward until torso is parallel to floor, extending right leg behind you to hip height and both arms forward overhead. Hold for 1 or 2 counts, then return to standing on left leg. Do 10 reps.
- Switch sides, standing on right leg to perform 25 pulses with left leg and 10 balances.
- MAKE IT EASIER: Touch lifted leg to floor between balancing poses.
Lateral Side Shuffles
- From a squatting stance, shuffle to the right 3 steps and touch floor with right hand. Then shuffle to the left 3 steps and touch floor with left hand to complete 1 rep. Do 10 reps.